Home :: About Kintyre :: Businesses :: Webcam :: Forum :: Accommodation :: Eating Out :: Events :: Links :: Photo Galleries :: Activities
Quick Links (external)
Kintyre Golf
Kintyre Forum
Kintyre Weddings
Eat Kintyre
Kintyre Jewellery
Kintyre Way
Down Memory Lane
Historic Kintyre
Picture House

Campbeltown Picture House

The Picture House in Campbeltown is community owned and run and is the oldest continuously run, purpose-built cinema in Scotland still showing films.  Showing films 6 nights a week this is a truly wonderful experience and insight into this Class A Building which was recently described as one of the three most important cinemas in the UK!


Address: 26 Hall Street,
  Argyll PA28 6BU
Phone: 01586 553899 (Cinema)
  01586 553657 (Office)


Website: www.weepictures.co.uk

If you wish to make a telephone booking, please use the cinema number (voicemail).

Opening times:

Normal show times 8.00pm all week unless otherwise stated.
Doors open 30 minutes prior to show time.
Cinema closed Fridays.
Please note, children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult of 18 years or over.

To reserve seats please telephone 01586 553899.

Brief History:

The A-listed Picture House in Campbeltown is an amazing survivor and holder of several records. It is now the oldest purpose-built cinema in Scotland still showing films, the only cinema in Scotland still with atmospheric-style decoration, and one of the few cinema buildings that remains undivided, allowing films to be seen from a choice of stalls or balcony. It also unusually has never had a name change!
The Picture House opened on 26th May 1913, the first cinema in the town. It was designed by prolific cinema architect AV Gardner (later to design such cinemas as the Grosvenor and the Kelvin, and better known now as one half of the partnership of Gardner and Glen) to seat 640.

His design for the building was quite unlike any other cinema building of the time, which, when viewed in plan projection, are clearly based around a series of concentric ovals, the highest and narrowest of which consisted of the projection box, with a larger oval below that at balcony level, with another curved frontage and foyer area below - the curved walls are very noticeable on the exterior facade, and, in another unusual touch, were mirrored on the back wall of the auditorium.

There was no foyer to speak of, with doors under a single central ticket box open to the elements, protected only by an open-air balcony above.

Sadly no photographs of the original 1913 interior are currently available, but descriptions suggest stained glass windows on either side of the proscenium, and decoration including potted plants and boxes. The original plans also show an orchestra pit below the stage, and two dressing rooms (one on each side of the screen).

The cinema was a great success, and in July 1931 the cinema closed for 11 days to allow sound equipment to be installed. An additional kiosk building was built next door to provide additional queuing space for customers waiting to get into the main building!

To read more click here >>>>


<<<<  Back to Activities

Scottish Top Site    

Web Design and photos by Dalintober